All about bubble hash
There are many different types of cannabis extracts that it can be difficult to remember them all, Bubble Hash, Afghani Hash, Black Hash, the list goes on. Hash is a term that is used to describe a cannabis concentrate that is not a liquid but also isn’t a powder. The method of extraction chosen in the making of hash is what gives it its name. Bubble hash is made using bubble bags and is one of the purest forms of hash there is. Here we will talk about what it is and provide a step by step guide on how to make it yourself.
What is bubble hash?
Bubble hash one of many kinds of cannabis extract and is made using water. It generally has a crumbly texture and consistency and is a shade of brown. Bubble hash is mostly made up of trichomes which hold most of the active cannabinoids that are produced by a marijuana plant. If you were to look at it under a microscope, it would look like hundreds of white and brownish hairs all tightly wound together. Bubble hash is believed to be named after the bubbles that form when it is heated.
How to make bubble hash
A bubble hash machine will come at a steep expense, often close to $1000 or more for a good one. Bubble hash bags can be purchased for around $100, and some can be reused several times. Both methods require ice and water to extract the trichomes from the plant material. The most significant difference is that bubble hash bags need several steps including watching which bags you are using while the machines do pretty much all of that on their own. First, we will cover the steps for how to make bubble hash using bubble bags, and then go on to explain the process for most machines that are currently on the market.
What are bubble hash bags?
Bubble hash bags are the most common way to make this kind of hash, with the only alternative being an expensive machine that does most of the grunt work for you. Bubble hash bags are a set of bags that will each have slightly smaller holes than the one outside of it. The holes themselves are difficult to see and measure from 25 microns to 230 microns. For context one human hair is approximately 30 microns.
How to use bubble hash bags
When using bubble hash bags, you will need to have a bucket, ice, water, and a mixing tool on hand.
- Line one plastic bucket with your bubble bags.
- Add cold water to the bucket until it’s about half full.
- Pour your herb into the bags.
- Add enough ice to fill the bucket leaving two inches of breathing room.
- Mix the ice and water for 15 minutes.
- Grab the first bubble bag slowly pull it out allowing all the liquid to empty into the bucket.
- Continue to grab each bubble hash bag, in the same way, turning each one inside out once it has drained to collect the hash.
- The collected harsh chunks are bubble hash and ready to smoke after only a few minutes of drying.
What is a bubble hash machine?
A bubble hash machine takes most of the guesswork out of making bubble hash. It provides timing, automatic filter changes, plus a “set it and forget it” option.
How to use a bubble hash machine
- Add water to the machine up to the fill line.
- Pour in ice until the water level reaches the ice fill line.
- Add the marijuana to the center of the machine.
- Hit the start button and wait until it’s finished which is on average 12-25 minutes.
- Once it is done, you will be able to retrieve a container from the top of the machine that will hold the bubble hash. It is ready to smoke after air drying.
How to smoke bubble hash
Bubble hash may be confusing for those who only smoke joints, but it can be used the same way.
Joint - For a joint, you can’t just fill the entire paper with bubble hash. Instead, try a mixture of around 30% or less bubble hash and the rest dried herb. Break up the hash into small pieces and spread it evenly through the joint for an even burn.
Bong or pipe - If you have a pre-used bong that has a nice bed of ash already inside you can set a few small pieces of bubble hash and light them up. The only downside to this is the possibility of some of it running down the stem and clogging the device rather than burning. To keep it out your best bet is to start with a bed of fresh herb grind and add a few pieces of hash on top. As it burns and melts, it will run over the bud keeping it out of the device.
Dabbing - Dabbing is the best way to smoke this type of cannabis concentrate. It will help to preserve the terpenes providing a flavorful toke and doesn’t get wasted.
Vaporizer - Marijuana concentrate vaporizers are also a useful tool for smoking bubble hash as they keep it all contained and utilized most of the hash giving a direct and even hit to the user.