How to make pure CBD tincture
CBD tincture is an alcohol-based cannabis extract that is gaining in popularity as the medicinal benefits of cannabinol are explored more in-depth, and they become more widely accepted as beneficial for many different health-related reasons. CBD tincture is often used to treat panic, depression, anxiety, and illness that is caused or agitated by inflammation. The chemical is one of two active components found within cannabis plants, but this one will not get you high. Instead, it works as a mild sedative and anti-inflammatory. CBD tincture is not a prescribed liquid and is available to the public through manufacturers in limited quantities, but the best way to ensure you have a pure CBD tincture is to make it yourself. Not only is it relatively easy, but you will be able to use it knowing that there are absolutely no additional impurities that could hinder your access to any potential benefits or possibly make you sick.
How to make CBD tincture
The best base for a CBD tincture is going to be a marijuana plant that produces large quantities of it. This can be difficult to find in your average plant. Choose a strain that has at least 5% or more CBD to produce a tincture that is full of anti-inflammatory benefits. The very first step for this recipe requires decarboxylated bud so you will need access to an oven to make it.
- 7 grams of cannabis
- 1 bottle of vegetable glycerine (or high proof alcohol)
- Before you can begin to make a CBD tincture, you will need to decarboxylate the cannabis to activate and essentially loosen the compounds you are about to extract. Preheat an oven to 320F and while you wait place a single layer of parchment paper over a cookie sheet.
- Grind your cannabis and spread it evenly over the parchment paper. Be sure to keep it away from any exposed metal edges, or it could burn. Once the oven has preheated bake the bud grind for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes you can remove the cookie sheet from the oven and place it somewhere away from the stove to cool.
- Gather the decarboxylated bud in the center of the parchment paper and twist it into a funnel. This will make it easier to dump it into a resealable mason jar. Once the ground bud is in the jar give it a few taps so that it settles to the bottom.
- Now you can add a bottle of either food grade vegetable glycerine or the highest proof alcohol you can find. Vodka can make an excellent alternative that is easy to find. Pour the solution of your choice into the jar, and fill it almost to the top leaving at least ½ inch of empty space, while also making sure that the bud grind is completely submerged.
- Seal the lid of the jar and give it a good shake for 2-5 minutes before storing it in a cool dark place. It takes at least six weeks for the extraction to complete, so it is not recommended to use it before then.
- Once you are ready to use your freshly made pure CBD tincture, you will need to filter out any excess plant material. This can be done with cheesecloth, a coffee filter, or a fine mesh screen. Filter the liquid through one of them into a spouted measuring cup or bowl. The spout can be a time saver and help to avoid messes when you transfer the tincture into its final containers for use.
- If the tincture isn’t completely clear you may want to filter it one more time before pouring it into dropper bottles for storage. Always keep tincture in a cool dark place. Like with any medicine its contents will degrade over time, and that process is hastened when CBD tincture is exposed to too much light or heat.
CBD Tincture Dosage
The ideal dosage of CBD tincture will be different for everyone. To get an idea of how it will affect you and your symptoms it is recommended to begin with one drop under the tongue or administered orally in another form such as drinks or edibles up to 3 times a day.
CBD tincture recipes
A lot of people who use CBD tinctures may not enjoy the taste enough to keep wanting to take it pure. Luckily there are other options to choose from like drinks and edibles which can help to make takingyour CBD tincture a little more enjoyable.
CBD Tincture Tea
This soothing CBD infused tea is perfect for anyone struggling with getting a full night's sleep. It will soothe and relax while tasting incredible. This recipe makes two cups to share, so if you are after a single dose just cut the ingredients, you use in half.
- 1 cup of white milk (any kind)
- 2 tablespoons of Chamomile
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- up to 30 drops of CBD tincture (adjust according to preference)
- 1 small pot
- 2 mugs
- Add two cups of water to a pot and heat it to a rolling boil.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of Chamomile and steep for five full minutes.
- Now you can add the rest of the ingredients and give it a gentle stir.
- Pour into two mugs and serve.
CBD Tincture Honey
Honey is amazing for its versatility. It can be added to almost anything as a sweet dose of CBD tincture when you need it.
- 1 ounce of dried cannabis
- 4 pounds of real honey
- jars (for storage)
- Pour all of the honey into a crock pot.
- Add the dried bud into the center of a layer of cheesecloth and use a piece of twine to tie the ends together so that none can fall out.
- Drop the bundle of herb into the crock pot.
- Set crockpot to lowest cooking setting and let the mixture infuse for 5-6 hours.
- Set mixture aside to cool enough that you can safely handle it. This may take anywhere from 8 to 24 hours so be patient.
- Pour honey into resealable jars or containers and store them in a cool dark place until you are ready to use them.