Guide to building 3 different DIY bongs
One of the best things about marijuana is that is can be used in so many fun and unique ways. One of the most popular stoner traditions that can help to keep things exciting is dappling in homemade bongs. You will be amazed at the things that can be made into bongs using items you likely have in your cupboards already. The base that is used can often be functional for flavor as well as smoking, so if you do choose a fruit or flavored bong than be sure it’s made using something you like the taste of.
1. Watermelon bong
This one is similar to the infamous apple bong with one big difference, and that’s it’s size! Some find apple bongs difficult to carve out but the soft center of a watermelon will allow for a quick and easy conversion into a functional bong.
You will need:
- 1 solid piece of hollow dried bamboo
- 1 semi-ripe watermelon
- 1 hammer
- 1 knife
- 1 piece of aluminum foil
- Take the dried bamboo piece (or something that will perform in a similar way) and press the tip of it against the side of the watermelon in the very center. This will be your mouthpiece so be sure to put it somewhere that is easy to access without some weird stretches.
- Use a hammer to gently force the bamboo through the skin and into the center of the watermelon on an upward angle. You don’t want to make a chamber that goes directly to the middle of the watermelon and no further.
- Once you are confident you have gone far enough, you can slowly pull it out.
- Blow on the bamboo to remove the watermelon from the center of it and slowly feed it back in once more. This will ensure that the chamber is cleared and ready to use.
- Now perform the same task only from the top center of the watermelon right where the vine would greet the fruit. Push it far enough that it reaches the first passage you created before pulling it back out to check by drawing through it. If there is resistance than something is still blocked, and the tunnels will have to be cleared again until you feel a smooth and consistent airflow.
- Use a sharp knife to carve out a bowl on top of the melon. Be careful as with fruit so large it’s easy to make a massive bowl that can be difficult to fill.
- Once the bowl has been carved out, you can use either a bowl piece or a piece of tinfoil as a bowl liner. Foil must be pricked using a toothpick several times to allow the smoke to travel.
How to use a watermelon bong
- Fill the bowl with dry herb.
- Light the cannabis.
- Draw from the opening located on the side of the watermelon to inhale the hit.
2. Gravity bong
If you have ever heard of buckets, a gravity bong is exactly what that person was talking about. They are popular especially amongst the younger crowds as an easy go-to DIY bong that is easy to dispose of and will cost only pennies to create and enjoy.
You will need:
- 1 empty 2L bottle (with lid)
- 1 bottle (slightly larger than the first)
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 small piece of tin foil (or bowl piece)
- 1 toothpick
- Wash both of the bottles and prepare them by removing any labels or stickers.
- Set the bottles side by side to compare the height of the chambers. The idea here is to keep both a similar depth so that the 2L bottle can be almost entirely submerged in the large one.
- Draw a line to refer to where you need to cut the bottles to make them the correct size. The big bottle you will cut the top off of and the smaller one you will remove the bottom instead.
- Cut both of the plastic bottles and check the fit by placing the 2L bottle inside of the other. If any more than the spout will stick out of the water once the largest than you will need to remove more of the smaller bottle or smoke will stay trapped inside of the chamber.
- Once they fit together comfortably, it’s time to move onto the bowl. Take the 2L lid and cut or melt a hole into the center of it.
- Use the tip of a finger to press the center of the foil into the hole you have made. You will want it to be set in deep enough to function as a bowl.
- Now pull the edges of the foil around the edges of the lid and trim them so that ¼ inch or so reaches the threading.
- If there is too much foil to comfortably put the lid back onto the 2L bottle than you cat trim it a bit more to remove some. Pressing it into the lid threading will also help it to tighten more smoothly.
- Take a toothpick and poke 5-8 holes into the center of your bowl.
- Fill the larger bottle bottom with water and place the 2L bottle into the water until it rests on the base.
How to use a gravity bong
Now that your gravity bong is ready to use it’s time to learn how it functions.
- Grind up dry cannabis and fill the bowl.
- Put a heating element to the bud grind, and once it’s lit, you can slowly pull up on the 2L bottle by holding it below the spout. The water creates a vacuum that draws the smoke into the chamber.
- Once the bottle cannot be lifted anymore or the bud stops burning (whichever happens first) you can take the hit by removing the lid and slowly pushing down on the 2L bottle while inhaling its contents.
3. Pickle pipe
For this homemade bong to be successful, you will need to start with the largest and straightest pickle you can find. It’s strongly recommended for pickle lovers only as the garlic, dill and other spices used in pickles will change the taste of the cannabis you smoke through it.
You will need:
- 1 large whole pickle (any flavor)
- 1 large hollow skewer
- 1 knife
- 1 piece of tinfoil (optional)
- 1 toothpick
- Take a large hollow skewer and pierce the pickle straight through from one end to ½ inch away from the other. Do not pierce it through entirely or this will not work. It may take a few times before the hole is hollowed out enough that air will be able to freely travel through it.
- Once you have created the main chamber, it’s time to carve out a bowl. Use a knife and measure how far the tip of the original hole reaches and slowly carve out a bowl shape until the bottom of it breaks into the chamber in the center.
- Force any pieces that may be lodged in the passage from the bowl addition by blowing and sucking on the end of the pickle until you feel the air move through in freely.
- Now you can either dry out the pickle by dabbing it with paper towel and use the bowl as is or you can cover it with a small piece of tinfoil.
- If you do use foil, you will need to pierce a hole into the center of it before it is ready to be used.
How to use a pickle pipe
- Pack the bowl with dry cannabis.
- Put the end of the pickle with a hole into your mouth as you put a lighter or heating element to the herb.
- Draw in the smoke and enjoy.