How to make a DIY ice bong
Now that summer is here, and along with it came the scorching temperatures and humidity, we are all seeking new and unique ways to cool down. There is no better time than now to learn how to make an ice-cold bong with no $80 molds as you have likely seen used on YouTube. Though we will admit, this one might not be great for long term use as it will melt, it’s perfect for a few good smoking sessions, and it cools the marijuana smoke to such low temperatures, it can help to make even the harshest weed enjoyable. Though this masterpiece was originally designed for use on a hot summer’s day, you can also make it outdoors without the hemp from electricity or man-made appliances, if the temperatures dip and stay well below freezing for long enough to get the job finished. Finally, remember that the bowls must be equal sizes in pairs for the bong base and chamber to align correctly.
You will need:
- 2 medium-sized bowls
- 2 large sized bowls
- 1 frying pan
- 1 spray bottle
- 1 shot glass ice mold
- 1 stem
- 1 torch
- 1 screwdriver
- 1 pitcher full of water
- 1 roll of electrical tape
- freezer (or temperatures below freezing outdoors)
- Start by adding a small amount of water to the bottom of both of the largest bowls. An inch or two is plenty enough.
- Once you have a small amount of water in both dishes, you can place the smaller containers into the middle of the larger ones.
- Now fill the openings between the walls of both bowls until it almost reaches the top. Remember, water will expand as it freezes, so too much could end up overflowing during the freezing process.
- Cut two pieces of tape and place them in an x shape over the top of both sets of bowls. As you do this, try to make sure that the smaller containers are as centered as possible. This will help the chambers to line up after the water has been frozen.
- Take one shot glass mold and fill anywhere from 4-6 of the openings with water, but only to just below the middle portion. You do not want to create entire glasses. Instead, the goal is to make glass tubes without bottoms.
- Freeze the mold, and the water filled bowls for 2-6 hours, or until solid.
- Remove the frozen ice pieces from the freezer and fill a spray bottle with water.
- Take the middle bowls out of the ice chunks with pressure, but the larger ones will require running under some lukewarm water to release without breaking.
- Take the frying pan and heat it slightly on the stove.
- Once hot, a small amount of pressure against the bottom of one of your glass bowls will be enough to create a flat surface. This is necessary for your bong to sit stable on a flat surface.
- Now you will want to perform this next step somewhere you don’t mind a slight mess of water. Place the two-ice bowls so that the rims align, and the flat portion is rested against a counter or table.
- Use a spray bottle to mist the outside of the bowls enough that they fuse at the edge. Once they have merged, you will need to let them refreeze for 20-30 minutes, so place them back into the freezer.
- Now you will need to do the same thing with the frozen ice tubes to form a stem. Once they are semi-fused place them back into the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Take a torch and heat up a screwdriver before pressing it into the top center of the bong chamber. You may need to reheat it several times, as the hole must be the same size as the opening on the ice tubes.
- Now heat the screwdriver one final time before pressing it at a 45-degree angle into the side of the bong chamber. This one should be the same size as your bowl stem.
- Use the mister bottle to fuse the ice tubes to the base and freeze them together one final time for 15-20 minutes.
- Now the ice bong can be removed from the freezer, the bowl stem can be installed, water can be added to the chamber (if you like), and you can fill the bowl and smoke some nice cold marijuana smoke to your heart’s content.
Fun ideas to personalize your ice bong
- Use juice instead of plain water.
- flavor the mouthpiece by adding a few drops of lemon, orange, or any other flavor you like.
- Add food coloring.
- Install a carb hole for additional control over the marijuana smoke.