Cannabis-infused mixology: Cannabis vodka drinks
As the budding legal marijuana business embeds its roots in society, we are finding the necessity and knowledge of the bud-tender, and the bartender beginning to intermix in the job descriptions. Things are moving forward, and we are now looking at combining the two. Mixing marijuana and alcohol is not a new found idea; people enjoy the occasional drink of alcohol while indulging in smoking or vaping of marijuana. Now with the legalization of the inspiring plant, there is a growing trend to infuse the alcohol with cannabis.
Cannabis vodka is a method of enjoying the effects of cannabis without smoking. One could think about cannabis vodka as an addition to the many edibles that by the end of 2019 will be for legal sale in Canada. However, this edible will be a DIY project. Legally in Canada, the infusing of cannabis into vodka is not for sale.
Let’s look at how to make weed vodka at home
A straightforward form of cannabis vodka is steeping cannabis in the vodka for a few hours, bearing in mind to monitor the temperature as the alcohol evaporates at about 80C. This process involves heat, so be diligent in maintaining a low temperature.
• Double boiler
• 250ml Ciroc Vodka
• Three grams of Bruce Banner or your best Sativa decarboxylated ground herb. The cannabis should be prepared in this manner to provide the strong psychoactive effects of the THC. However, if you choose to use fresh herb, the flavor and color will be the attraction, not the psychoactive effects of the non-active weed.
- Place your double boiler on the lowest heat setting on your stove top.
- Wrap your grounded decarboxylated cannabis in the cheesecloth, forming a small package
- Add the Ciroc Vodka to the double boiler and place the cannabis packet into the Ciroc Vodka. Let the combined ingredients infuse for 3-4 hours. Check with your thermometer that the temperature remains below 60C
- Take the package out of the Ciroc Vodka and pour into a glass container. Let the liquid cool completely before sealing the jar. Now store your liquid in a dark, cool place
If you enjoy a cannabis-infused honey taste, this following method will delight your taste-buds.
Cannabis infused honey recipe
First, you will need to make the cannabis-infused honey. This is accomplished by extracting the cannabinoids and the terpenes from the weed using coconut oil.
3 grams of decarboxylated bud
175g organic honey
¼ cup organic virgin coconut oil
500ml Ciroc Vodka
Glass mason jar
Medium size saucepan ¾ filled with simmering water
- First, we make cannabis honey. Place the medium ground cannabis into the mason jar with the coconut oil.
- Seal the jar and place in the saucepan with the water on low heat for two to three hours. This is the method used to extract the cannabis into the oil.
- Now you are ready to strain the oil with the aid of the cheesecloth. Lightly squeeze out the remaining liquid left in the cheesecloth
- You are now going to add the oil to the organic honey and stir well
- Vodka is now added and make sure all is mixed together well
- Pour your cannabis-infused vodka into a glass bottle and enjoy!
Remember that mixing alcohol and cannabis heightens the effects of both substances. The cannabis vodka effects can be strong if overindulged, they can leave you with feelings of being high, combined with drunkenness. The combination can lead to nausea, dizziness, and vomiting.
Be responsible when mixing alcohol and cannabis. When using the combination as in a vodka infused with cannabis, take extra precaution to go slow and monitor the effects that will be presented.