Cannabis and autism
For the adult who lives with autism, particularly Asperger's, this condition can present difficulties with social interaction, repetitive behaviours, and non-verbal communication. The relationship between cannabis and autism has helped to treat some of the common symptoms of autism like, tics and anxiety. In Canada, the legalization of cannabis has given those adults a choice of how to administer cannabis.
CBD as a treatment for autism is not the only form of cannabis that has proven effective. Cannabis comes in many different strains and methods of administering the herb so that the adult autism patient can use it to improve life quality. Medical marijuana has proven to be the answer for helping to alleviate outbursts of anger, temper tantrums, and seizures commonly experienced by autism patients.
Cannabis and cannabis-based products like tinctures and concentrates have shown to help by lessening any erratic behaviours. The average adult who uses cannabis to treat their symptoms is noted as being more relaxed and attentive to their activity. Some say that medical marijuana may best serve as an exceptional behaviour modification that ultimately protects the health and safety of the autistic adult.
Common ways to introduce cannabis to the system
Marijuana can be used in several ways that do not include smoking. We know of the dangers of smoking, which is why it is highly recommended that these patients choose a safer method. Some of these ways may include:
The best cannabis strains for symptom-specific treatment
Using cannabis to improve relaxation and communication.
- Blue Dream will provide a perfect daytime relaxing experience Creativity and happiness are supplied with this strain
- Chocolope, the high energizing Sativa strain, will give an uplifted, happy experience. When used correctly, this strain can provide symptom relief.
Cannabis use for sleep problems. These heavy Indica strains will help to provide a peaceful sleep pattern.
- Northern Lights is an Indica-dominant hybrid that will assist those taking medication that causes depression or anxiety. This strain is taken an hour before bedtime.
- Afghani has powerful sedative effects that begin very quickly after use. A deep feeling of relaxation is presented before falling to sleep and awakening rejuvenated and refreshed.
Medical cannabis is worth trying if the adult autism patient is not getting positive results from conventional medication, but the use of medical cannabis does not go without some side effects. The side-effects are, however, much less severe than conventional treatment, as they are mild and cease after the medicine wears off.
Some of the potential side effects and benefits
- A “high” feeling from the THC in the cannabis
- Dry mouth which can be eased with drinking fluids
- Red-eye is a common effect of medical cannabis
- Increased hunger can be experienced often referred to as the "munchies"
- Sleeplessness is a common symptom of autism, and cannabis, with its sedative properties, can assist with that
Every medication needs to be scrutinized for the benefits and harmful side-effects. Medical cannabis, when compared to conventional medicines, has fewer of the side effects mentioned. As more results from research on how cannabis can interact beneficially with autism become available, the adult patient can be provided with a more suitable treatment for the diagnosis of autism or Asperger's.