Quick facts about legal weed in Colorado
If you’re here to answer the question, “Is weed legal in Colorado?” then we’re happy to tell you that the answer is a resounding yes. Recreational marijuana is plentiful here, and as a result, it’s become quite the hotbed for tourists who want to experience the local cannabis culture. Though it is legal to buy, to possess and consume cannabis in Colorado, there are some things you should know before you go because, in the US, every state boasts its own set of rules and regulations.
This handy list of cannabis facts will keep you out of trouble and assist with the process of planning a comfortable, reliable, and predictable trip to this 420 friendly state.
- Medicinal cannabis consumption has been allowed since 2000
- Recreational marijuana has been legal in Colorado in 2012
- Anyone aged 21 and over can purchase cannabis products
- Valid government-issued ID must be shown for every cannabis purchase
- Those between the ages of 18 and 21 may apply for a medical cannabis card, but this can only be done with the assistance of a qualified doctor
- It is illegal for Colorado dispensaries to sell cannabis without a license
- Public consumption of cannabis is prohibited, which means that city parks, sidewalks, schools and playgrounds are off-limits, as are most indoor businesses
- It is illegal to consume cannabis on the 16thStreet Mall
- Licensed consumption venues are available all over the state
- Most people here can smoke weed in their own homes, as long as they own them, or rent from an entity that doesn’t’ prohibit smoking, and Airbnb’s are included, with many temporary stays accommodating stoners who want to get a buzz indoors
- Legal age recreational consumers may possess up to 1 ounce of cannabis flower
- All residences are permitted to grow up to 12 cannabis plants
- Medical patients may possess up to 2 ounces of flower
- Colorado dispensaries are limited when it comes to selling edibles and other concentrates to consumers who may only buy 8 grams per purchase
- 800mg of THC is the maximum content for edibles in this state, which is much higher than most other legal places in the world
- Traveling in a vehicle with cannabis is allowed as long as the package stayed completely sealed, but smoking it before or during a ride in a motorized vehicle is against the law and treated in a similar manner to alcohol
- It is illegal to smoke weed in the mountains in Colorado
- Cannabis clubs are one of the best places for tourists to get high legally
As long as you follow the laws and consume responsibly, Colorado is the perfect place to explore, for cannabis enthusiasts. There are so many sights, sounds, classes, tours, bud and breakfasts, and so much more to check out that you’ll need to visit multiple times just to see it all, and you won’t find anywhere else in the world that is more accepting of the cannabis lifestyle and culture in general. It’s bold, it’s beautiful, and it’s definitely a 420 friendly state.