How to make a hash press
If you are just learning how to make hash, then you need to know that there isn’t only one way to perform this task. Making dry ice hash can be incredibly simple, or high tech, so it depends on your budget and the consistency of the marijuana concentrates that you would like to end up with. Making dry hash is easy no matter which method you choose, so here, you will find two different ways to make a hash at home, including one that only calls for essential household goods that you likely have lying around already, and another that will cost a bit more, but produce a slightly higher quality product.
How to make hash with your foot
This is the lowest tech option out there, and also the easiest on the pocketbook. To begin, you will need kief and a few other essentials. This method is ideal for smaller amounts of fresh kief, so we recommend starting with 5 grams or less, and the results will be a tiny brick of dry hash.
You will need
- 5 grams of kief (or less)
- cellophane (or parchment paper)
- tape (any kind but electrical works the best)
- 1 needle
- 1 shoe
- Begin by adding the kief to the center of a piece of cellophane or parchment paper. You want to use a section that is large enough to wrap the materials several times over. This will help to ensure a seal and lower your chances of experiencing a catastrophic leak.
- Once the kief is wrapped as tightly as you can get it, use a piece of tape to fasten it in place.
- When you are confident that the package of marijuana concentrate is securely packaged, it’s time to make one final adjustment. Use a pin to poke a small hole into the container. This will allow the air to escape and lessen the chances of the paper ripping.
- Place the package into the heel of a shoe, and then slide it onto your foot.
- Now you will need to continuously press on the kief packet to mold it into hash. This typically takes anywhere from 15-60 minutes of force, so it might be a good idea to do this when you have some walking to do.
- Once the time is up, you can unwrap the hash, which will be a small flat brick of perfection that is ready to be smoked.
How to make a dry hash press
This dry hash press is perfect for making more significant amounts of kief, but it does come with a small financial investment.
You will need:
- 1 brick press
- 1 hydraulic jack
- 1 large pot
- 5 grams of kief (or more)
- oven gloves
- grapeseed oil
- If you haven’t already, detach the hydraulic jack from the chamber.
- Fill a large pot ⅓ of the way full of water and bring it to a rolling boil on the stove.
- Once the water is boiling, you can submerge the brick press to just below the base of the bottom plate. Leave it to cook for ten full minutes to heat up.
- Remove the brick press from the boiling water and be careful as it will be very hot.
- Remove the wingnuts to remove the top plate.
- Use grapeseed oil to lightly grease all the metal brick plates that are internal.
- Pour the kief into the chamber of the brick press.
- Replace the top plate and fix it into place with the wingnuts.
- Attach the hydraulic press to the plug on the bottom of the brick press.
- Pump the jack by hand until you can no longer put any more pressure on it. Do not use other tools in an attempt to create more influence, as this can compromise your press.
- Fill the large pot with ice cold water and place the brick press upside down partially submerged.
- Add ice to the areas surrounding the press in the pot.
- Leave it to cool for two full hours before removing, drying, and opening.
- The results should be a beautifully well compressed brick of dry hash.